- MFA in Creative Writing (Antioch University of Los Angeles, 2012)
- MA in Education (Point Loma Nazarene University, 2006)
- CA Secondary Teaching Credential: English (Point Loma Nazarene University, 2004)
- BA in Literature (Point Loma Nazarene University, 2002)
Writing & Teaching Quick Facts
- From 2004 – 2009, I taught high school English, designing and teaching curriculum focused on reading comprehension, literary analysis, writing, and research. My ultimate goal (beyond creating a safe space for students to discuss controversial issues, to identify their strengths and weaknesses, and to tackle challenges in pursuit of both personal and intellectual growth) was for students to learn how to think critically and apply this skill to every area of their lives.
- In 2009, I started writing freelance for the Mercury, a Newport, RI, newsweekly. From 2010 until we moved to Japan in 2012, I contributed the weekly Q&A “Off the Lip.” My interviews, features, and personal essays have also been featured in Newport Life magazine and online for Japan Times, The Review Review, and various blogs.
- While completing my MFA (2010 – 2012), I taught research-writing part-time at a progressive, project-based high school. In collaboration with the principal and teaching staff, I created the school’s first streamlined research-writing curriculum.